The website I chose was the National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) because it has up to date information and research on early education.The Institute offers independent research based advice and technical assistance to policy makers, educators and researchers. In their mission statement they describe their goals:
“The Institute’s research program aims to :
- Provide a vision of early education excellence in terms that are usable by policy makers and understandable to the general public
- Monitor and evaluate national and state progress toward early educational excellence
- Develop and analyze model legislation, standards, regulations and other policies required to improve quality and increase access to good preschool programs
- Explain the costs, outcomes and economic benefits of alternative policies
The Institute works with state and national policy makers and other organizations to :
- Collect, archive and disseminate information on the status of early education access and quality,exemplary practices and policy and public opinion
- Develop research and communication strategies to fill gaps in knowledge and to effectively apply scientific knowledge to early education policy
- Commission new research and analysis to be carried out by institute staff, visiting scholars and researchers at other institutions
- Create a rapid response capacity to provide the media with an independent, research-based perspective on breaking news
- Stimulate national and state discussions of early education policy
- Partner with other organizations to develop a coherent national research agenda and to deliver and publicize vital information about early education”(nieer.org).
I like this site because it has daily updates of “Early Education in the News” which covers daily news from all over the states. For example I just read that the Indianapolis Mayor signed the preschool scholarship program into law on March 11, 2015. This will come into effect in the 2015-2016 school year. This will provide children from low income families with quality preschool education.
I am looking forward to learning more about developments in the early childhood field from this website concerning access, assessment, economics and finance, English language learners, governance and accountability, outcomes, quality and curriculum, special education,state programs, universal and targeted(information about preschool programs, targeted to serve at risk children versus access for all children).